We Build The Future
In carrying out GIYC’s mission and objectives, all aspects of the work of the GIYC as well as the actions of its leadership and representatives will be guided by the following principles:
- The GIYC will reflect and support the values inherent in Traditional Indigenous cultures, including respect for the sacredness of all life and our Mother Earth, the wisdom of our elders, the role of youth, and the power of our traditional teachings and spiritual practices.
- The GIYC recognizes that while sharing much in common, each Indigenous culture is also unique and each struggle reflects diverse historical conditions. Therefore in keeping with the principles of self-determination, the GIYC respects the right of each member Nation, community and organization to define and pursue the objectives and strategies best suited to its specific situation, history and culture.
- The GIYC respects and seeks the participation of both men and women in all aspects and levels of the organizations.
- The GIYC will continue to seek the advice of our traditional elders, spiritual leaders, and youth mentors, and will make efforts to increase the participation and develop the leadership of Indigenous youth.
- The GIYC believes that Indigenous Peoples should speak for and represent themselves before the world community.
- The GIYC believes in the consensus process as the means to building unity, based on mutual understanding and shared commitment, and will employ this process in its proceedings whenever possible.
- The GIYC expects that its representatives, staff and leadership will demonstrate the highest level of respect and regard in their interactions with one another, and will resolve any difficulties or disagreements that may arise according to agreed upon internal procedures.
- The GIYC expects that its leadership and representatives will conduct themselves in accordance with the above principles as well as the highest level of accountability, diplomacy and ethical standards, and will keep the best interests of the GIYC and Indigenous Youth foremost while representing the GIYC in any capacity.